A day spa is a perfect way to relax and recharge energy after exploring the Riviera Maya. Here’s Playa Palms’ selection of the top day spas in Playa del Carmen for your ultimate pampering (in no particular order):Read More >>
Holbox is a small island, located 8 miles off the northern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula between the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico. If you want to spend a day or two far from the crowds, this is the place for you. Candles were replaced with electric light less than 30 years ago and there are no paved streets on the island. Time seems to have its own pace. You come for the remote beaches, breathtaking sunsets, wildlife, and to relax, relax and relax some more!
In the parts of the world where it’s still chilly outside, winter blues tends to hit the hardest. Time to do something for yourself and plan a spring break trip! Because really, why should college kids have all the fun?
The epicenter of spring break is Cancun, and lately, also Playa del Carmen gets its fair share of college students, eager to make this trip the best of their lives. Or the most inebriated. But don’t worry, there is something for everyone in Playa del Carmen, and if beer pong tournaments and wet t-shirt contests are not your thing, we have some great alternatives for you.
Guests at Playa Palms Beach Hotel are right downtown Playa del Carmen, with everything nearby. But despite being within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and clubs, inside the hotel it’s pleasantly quiet, with a peaceful atmosphere. Enjoy lazy evenings in the hammock on your balcony, overlooking the Caribbean Sea as far as the island of Cozumel.
During the day, there are many activities you can do, while avoiding drunk spring breakers. If you want to visit Mayan ruins without the masses Chichen Itza or Tulum attracts, try Ek Balam. This surprisingly well preserved archaeological Mayan site close to Valladolid is unlike any other, mostly because of its intricate artistic details. It has several temples, two palaces and one large pyramid, El Torre, which is one of the largest Mayan structures on the Peninsula.
Another unforgettable day trip is Isla Contoy, an absolutely breathtaking island of pristine beauty with an abundant wildlife. Daily, only a few visitors are allowed access on this secluded island north of Isla Mujeres, which makes it a very exclusive experience.
For a relaxing day at the beach, away from wild beach parties, head to X’cacel. Imagine only hearing the waves rolling in and the breeze blowing gently through the palm trees, while you are surrounded by pure nature. If you head to the south end of the beach, you can follow a trail that leads you to a natural pool in the middle of the jungle.
The best way to round up the day is with a delicious Mexican dinner. To avoid the crowded tourist draws, and try real Mexican food, go to Restaurant Axiote. The award-winning chef Xavier Perez Stone serves 100% Mexican food, using local ingredients. It’s a couple of steps away from the 5th Avenue, on the 34th Street, which is why many tourists miss this little gem.
Everybody who is currently staying in Playa del Carmen can’t ignore the fact that the town’s biggest event is happening: the famous BPM Festival. Electronic beats follow you wherever you go, beach clubs, bars, even some restaurants turn into instant clubs. This is great, as long as you love electronic music. If you don’t, here’s where you can avoid the crowd and the beats.
Whatever time of the year, taking a day trip or a tour to one of the many Mayan ruins is always a good option. Exchange the ubiquitous electronic beats with Mayan dance performances and culture. If you’re looking for ruins off the beaten path, we recommend Ek-Balam, a good 2 hours drive from Playa del Carmen. Its pyramid, El Torre, is one of the largest Mayan structures on the Peninsula. For more off the beaten path trips read here.
Enjoy beautiful beaches, restaurants, bars and souvenir shopping, but without all the BPM craze. Cozumel is just a short ferry ride away from Playa del Carmen, so it’s an easy day trip. Here are the activities we most recommend on the island.
You can’t visit the Riviera Maya without having plunged into at least one cenote. These natural sinkholes, sacred to the Mayas, are magical places. Cool down in their fresh water and explore a whole new underground world! These are the top 5 cenotes around Playa del Carmen.
4 Punta Soliman
This peaceful, paradisiac beach just about 15 minutes north of Tulum, is one of the Riviera Maya’s best kept secrets. Come here to relax, avoid the masses and simply unwind your mind on the large, crescent shaped bay. Just in front of the beach entrance you find Oscar & Lalo’s restaurant, famous for its seafood. Especially their ceviche and the grilled octopus will seduce your palate.
5 Plaza Punto 115
If you still want to go out for a beer, but away from the techno kids, try Plaza Punto 115. The relatively new plaza attracts mainly a local crowd. You find restaurants like Don Sirloin where you can get some delicious tacos or the Italian restaurant La Piola. There are also several bars, for example Las Helodias, where you can try very Mexican beer. At any time of the year this plaza is a nice alternative to the always busy 12th Street.
Whatever you are looking for, just ask our concierge or our staff at the front desk of Playa Palms Beach Hotel for suggestions. We are always happy to help! By the way, on January 15, the BPM festival comes to an end and Playa del Carmen returns to normality. For the moment at least.
Visiting Playa del Carmen you have a seemingly endless option of hotels and resorts to stay at. There is the right hotel for everybody’s need. Here are 10 reasons why to choose Playa Palms Beach Hotel:
- Location, location, location. The Playa Palms Beach Hotel is, as the name suggests, right at the beach. But we’re also in the very heart of Playa del Carmen, just two blocks from the famous 5th Avenue with entertainment, restaurants and shopping within walking distance.
- The perfect alternative to big resorts. If you’re looking for a more independent way of traveling, and like to explore Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya, we are your place to stay.
- We are an intimate boutique hotel. You don’t need maps to find your way around, and the beach and our beach front pool are only steps from your room.
- The many eating options close to the Playa Palms Beach Hotel. Feel like eating Mexican today? Or do you fancy a juicy steak right off the grill? How about some Asian delicacy or seafood? Whatever it is your palate desires, it’s just a few steps away.
- Are you on a special diet or simply prefer preparing your own meal? All our rooms are equipped with a kitchenette, including refrigerator, hot plate, microwave, coffee maker and drink mixer.
- We love to spoil you. With a complimentary continental breakfast each morning. You don’t even have to get out of bed, since we serve it in your room. Most of our guests enjoy eating on their balcony though, enjoying the view.
- That brings us to the next point. Each of our rooms has a private balcony. Picture yourself relaxing in your hammock, and feeling the ocean breeze on your skin while enjoying the spectacular view over the Caribbean Sea!
- We offer an oasis of calm. Once you enter Playa Palms Beach Hotel you leave the busy 5th Avenue behind you, and are surrounded by a relaxed atmosphere. Our sound proof hotel entrance keeps the noise out to ensure tranquility, as do the soundproofed windows and doors of all our rooms.
- Enjoy a fast WiFi connection in all the hotel areas. Yes, really everywhere, there’s even WiFi on the beach. Send your friends a selfie from the beach, chat with your family in your room or convert your balcony in your office with a gorgeous view!
- Our staff, which puts our guests first. Always. Our concierge converts your holiday into an adventure by organizing tours and day trips tailored to your interest. Our waiters serve you delicious drinks, and our staff at the front desk is happy to assist you with whatever you need during your vacation. At Playa Palms Beach Hotel we simply want you to be happy and relaxed.
We are looking forward to welcoming you soon in Playa Palms Beach Hotel in Playa del Carmen!