You might be surprised about how open and tolerant Mexico is. Of course it depends also on the region, but especially Quintana Roo, the state where Playa del Carmen is located, is leading in terms of LGBT rights. For example, same sex marriages are legal since 2012. Playa del Carmen itself is a laid back, cosmopolitan town, with a “live and let live” mentality, where one can feel secure and just enjoy the beautiful beaches and the vibrant nightlife. This might be one of the reasons why it’s attracting more and more people from all over the world, with a growing LGBT community.
Here are the most fabulous places and events to visit, if you’re looking for a gay crowd:
- Playa Pride with parades and parties, this year from June 16 to 19.
- Paradiso Circuit Party, four days with the finest DJ’s in several clubs of the town. Scheduled for 18 – 21 November. 2016.
- Arena, Mexico’s biggest gay and lesbian dance music festival, February 1 to 6, 2017.
The heart of Playa del Carmen’s Party scene is at the 12th street, from around the corner of the Playa Palms Beach Hotel up to the 10th Avenue with Coco Bongo. The scene is mixed and very gay friendly. No matter if straight or gay, you sure will have a great time!
- Club 69: A 100 % gay nightclub right at the 5th Avenue, (above the Seven Eleven store, see map below for addresses).
- La Cueva del Maya-T: Playa del Carmen’s newest gay bar, mainly visited by locals, a good 15 minutes walk from Playa Palms Beach Hotel.
- The most popular clubs for the gay community on the 12th street: La Vaquita, Hidden Bar and Dolores Yucabar.
- La Santanera: Not a gay club, but a very mixed crowd, electronic music and one of the best views in town.
- Mamita’s Beach Club: Playa del Carmen’s most popular beach, with a young and mixed crowd. It’s all about see and be seen.
- Playacar: although it’s kind of the town’s hotel zone, its beautiful beaches are much quieter, less crowded and less touristy than the popular beach clubs. Come here to relax. Walk through the Señor Frog’s next to the ferry to Cozumel to get there.
- “Gay Beach”: North of Hotel Paradisus. It’s a good 40 minutes walk from Playa Palms Beach Hotel, so you might want to take a taxi to the beach called Punta Esmeralda. From there you walk along the shore a bit up north.
X-Mahan-Nah Spa Club: Open every day from 4 to 10 pm, on the 2nd Street just across the highway.
Any other question you have, our front desk team and our concierge are happy to assist you, or contact us prior to arrival.